Monday, May 11, 2009

Budget Meal Planning - Phase 1

One of my goals of P90X is do to the nutrition plan on a budget. The first time I attempted P90X it wasn't the physical strain that lead me to quit, but the financial fustration.

The first time I attempted to follow the meal plan exactly and what happened was: 1) my grocery bill was $200-250 per week for two people, 2) the volume of the recipes did not match the weekly consumption, hence freezing soups were required, and 3) the time to eat the produce tended to become extended and I ended up throwing a portion of the food out because of rot.

Examples of the excessive recipe volume are many. (1 quart of cucumber soup when only a cup is required, 2.5cups of pesto sauce when a couple tablespoons is all that is required, etc).

Also several expensive items are required when cheaper substitutes are avaklable (Ie Salad Greens vs Arugula). I will endeavor to cut back the plan and offer substitutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment